+ Recent Posts
+ The Many Faces of Mike
+ SMKDU Sports Day 2006
+ Ass Photos
+ Pepsi Gold
+ Football Humour
+ Overpumping a Rubber Ball.
+ Japanese Crap
+ Not the usual NIPS
+ I Miss Outward Bound School part 3
+ Bakerzin: Reasonable and Classy...

+ Archives
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007

+ Tagboard
-->

+ More About Me
About Mike
My Email: my_precious_o@yahoo.com
My Friendster
My Multiply

+ Friends' Blogs
Hueyyi's Life & Times
Cherie:Hottie Diaries
Destination Dina
Sharon's Happy Corner
Sel's Fairytale
Seng the Saint
The King(ton) of Bites
Alesha's Purple Mysteries
Afi's Burning Motels

+ Bloggers Blogs
Izzie The Writer
Skyler Diver
Ivan's Tale
Chloe the Purple Girly
Angelic Kelz
The Next Kelly Clarkson

+ Popularer Bloggers' Blogs
Kenny Sia
Xiaxue Blog Princess
Mr Brown Town
Mr Miyagi's Very Own Glob
Adam Curuthers
Minishorts
Joel "Rambo" Tan
Jasiminne The Penguin

+ Search This Blog


+ Advertorials

Thursday, June 01, 2006 : Nike Joga3 Tournament
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike says:
I feel that my football form doesn't get anymore erratic than this. Sometimes I my dribbling's rusty, my passing's crap but my finishing's good. At other times, my dribbling's good, my passing's ok but my finishing's crap.
This year's just not one of those years... I hate exams!!!!

Was chatting on Kennysia's chatterbox earlier today and last night, and let me get you some quotations...

izzati: mike: you are cute. plz chat with me
Mike: I am?
Mike: i mean, of course i am

Skyler: SO egotistic can die
izzati: me?
Skyler: "I am? Oh, of course I am"

Mike: Hey Skyler you look like one of my friends... heh.. scary..
Skyler: No lah, where got.
Mike: You look like her lah...
Skyler: Oh yeah? Is she cute?
Mike: Yeahlah you and her very cute lah
Skyler: I am? Oh, of course I am.

Mike: I gotta quote that
Skyler: Make it a trademark like Paris Hilton's "That's hot"

Don't mess... this is one good way to accept a compliment anyday...
"I am? Of course I am...™"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


About a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Nike's Joga3 Tournament was coming to Malaysia.




At that time, Amir, KJ and I had already assembled our very own team of 3, which consisted of the three of us obviously, to enter the tournament.


I mean, sure why not? At that time KJ was at the peak of his fitness, Amir was a key figure in the school team and I was in goal-scoring form averaging at least 2 goals a game.

And to intimidate the opponents anymore, we called our team Chuck Norris FC after the Walker Texas Ranger guy who was made famous for his round-house kick.


Chuck Norris...


...and the one move that made him a cult hero worldwide...

But when Amir, KJ and I found out the nearest place we could go to compete in the event was Stadium Merdeka, our hopes were nearly destroyed until it came to One Utama.

Now, for those of you who don't know what Joga3 is, it's a 3-a-side futsal tournament organised by Nike in a designated area with borders and small goals. So basically it was more street soccer than futsal. The first goal eliminates the other team and the next team comes in to face the defending champions, but after 3 minutes of play if neither team scores, both teams will be eliminated and in come two new teams.


So KJ, Amir and I showed up at OU that day ready to kick some ass.
Only thing was, KJ was having a minor knee injury and I was (and still am) having a serious inconsistant lapse of form, leaving Amir to bare most of the team's responsibility. Damn.


We picked our team colour to be black, so that we would be able to differenciate from the team in blue bibs. We later found out that the bibs were black... talk about serious misfortune.

So when we met up, we immediately registered ourselves in and got a card which displayed the statistics of our games, got our hands marked with our team's code and free Joga 3 bands.


Our team code, AOW11


I got Heart, KJ Team and Amir Honor.

But the 3 of us weren't the only ones who turned up in support of Chuck Norris FC, Amir's gal pal, Aida, showed up too.


I guess she did very well as our only fan.
BTW, she is the camerawoman behind our matches. Thank you so much Aida...

I realised that there were people from the BFA (Brazilian Football Association. The academy, not the team you idiot) present and taking part.


My hands were shaking at the very sight of the sea of yellow..

My first reaction was, "Holy Crap!". I mean they send their best players to Brazil every year to have trials with them, and as I heard my old RSC team mate JB was actually on trial with Robinho's old team, Santos.

But I kept calm as I soon found out that all of them weren't grouped in the same court as us.

So the event kicked off for us with some extraordinary freestyling showmanship from some participants, most of them from the BFA.


Two particular freestylers who caught my eye was this short Chinese guy who could do any trick Ronaldinho invented. And another one was this Korean or Japanese kid no older than 12, who could do many tricks even I can't.



After the freestyling event, all of the participants were coralled like cows into one court where the guy explained the rules to us which was, you get cautioned if you kick the ball too high, play rough and stand too close to your own goal thus blocking it. On the second caution you get sent off =(
Our match eventually kicked off and our first game didnt go too well because, well, we lost after 2 and a half minutes of hard work where Amir should have at least hit the target once.
My personal highlight in that match was in a 3 on 1, where I managed to squeez the ball past 3 opponents only to see my ball rebound off the post.


Look out for it in the 93rd second. If you're finding it hard to differenciate the teams, just remember that both Amir and Kah Joo's shirts have yellow stripes on their sleeves and I have a huge 'Ronaldo 7' on the back of my jersey.



Although not shown in the video, we lost in the end and I left the court fuming with frustration at the unpenalised rough play of the opponents.

Our next match came up after about 45 minutes and we found ourselves in a very familiar corner again, this time watch out for Amir's flying backheel volley (similar to Ibrahimovic's one against Italy in Euro 2004) in the 165th second.


I do apologise for the lack of audio in the video so I shall compensate for it by fitting in a song of my choice to match the atmosphere- a song that made defeat so much more bearable.



You can't hide, I know how much you love that song.

At the end of the event, we lost our only two games, which we could have won if my roll-in hadn't hit the post in the first match and if any of Amir's shots could hit the target in the second.
But hey to our credit, as you can tell in the videos the floor was really slippery. Marble LAH!


Hey, we gave it our best.
At least we went home happy, although we didn't get anywhere near the grand prize which was a year in training with the BFA and a shopping spree at the Joga Bonito shop in Bukit Bintang.

The eventual winners were the boys from the BFA (yes, including that showboating freestyler; was there ever a doubt???) ...
I wonder though, since they won does that mean they get a free year of training with their own academy. I mean I'm sure they're already sponsored to train there since they're so damn good.

Haih, stupid kiasu BFA only wanna profit themselves... knnccb

 

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U had kj playin wit a scrapped knee = no more 1337 running

June 02, 2006 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flashback to the day in school:

*press press press*
*toot toot*
Mike: hello, is this joga3?-blabla-saturday-blablabla-12
-blabla.

Dude on the line:ok, what is your team name?
Mike :Chuck Norris FC
SY/Amir/KJ/MK: * bends down heads laughing*
Dude on the line:* bends down heads laughing*
Mike: dot dot
SY/Amir/KJ : *still laughing

June 02, 2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, well the boring football stuff at the top made me lose concentration.

June 02, 2006 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, just noticed Amir is wearin a Adidas shirt in a Nike event XD

June 03, 2006 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF man Seng Yau comment 3 times. Guess it makes up for the times your comments didn't make sense.

Look at the size of that space la! Amir can't even do skillz, you think KJ will be able to do 1337 running ah?

And yes lah, Amir just bought that shirt on that day itself somemore. Talk about gungho...

June 04, 2006 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep Seng Yau. I pwn with my puma shoes, adidas shirt in a nike tournament =p

June 04, 2006 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the more the merrier mah....

coz my brain doesn't thin it all on shot, think little bit, post little bt XD

June 05, 2006 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

--------------------------------------